Most people lose up to 100 hairs each day. With around 100,000 hairs on the scalp, this number is not something that is typically noticed, which means it isn’t going to cause any noticeable thinning. As people age, hair tends to thin anyway. Factor in medical conditions, medications, and hormonal factors and rapid hair loss can occur. In fact, rapid hair loss can occur at any stage in a person’s life if something is happening to cause it.
Hormonal issues cause one of the most common types of hair loss and that is male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness. This is a hereditary condition and certain sex hormones can trigger a specific pattern of permanent hair loss. This is very common in men and it can begin as early as puberty. This is why there are very young men who become bald in their early 20s.
Hormonal imbalances and changes can also cause individuals to experience temporary hair loss. This means that it is possible to reverse hair loss in these individuals if the hair loss doesn’t reverse itself on its own. Pregnancy, childbirth, no longer taking birth control pills, and the beginning of menopause are times when hair loss may occur temporarily. If the hair does not come back, then many of these women throughout New Bedford and Fall River seek hair loss help.
Common Medical Conditions
There are a number of medical conditions that can cause hair loss. The most common are:
- Thyroid disease – The thyroid gland regulates hormones in the body. If the gland is not working the way that it is supposed to, the end result is hair loss.
- Alopecia – This is a disease that occurs when the immune system attacks the hair follicles. This causes the patches where hair is lost to become smooth and round.
- Skin disorders – There are diseases that can cause scarring. Such diseases include lichen planus. Some types of lupus can also cause scarring, resulting in permanent hair loss where the scars occur.
- Scalp infections – Ringworm is an example of a scalp infection that can result in hair loss. The ringworm can invade the hair and skin of the scalp. Once the infection is treated, the hair usually grows back.
These are just some of the conditions that can result in hair loss. Sometimes the loss is temporary and other times it is permanent.
There are many types of medication on the market that can cause hair loss. In fact, rapid hair loss may be a side effect. Drugs that are used to treat arthritis, cancer, heart problems, depression, and high blood pressure can result in hair falling out at a fast pace.
One way to reverse hair loss in the case of medication is to talk to the doctor about an effective medication that does not result in hair loss. If there is a replacement medication, then the loss can stop and regrowth can begin. If regrowth doesn’t begin because the hair growth cycle is disrupted, then hair loss help is available to help get it growing again.
Other Reasons for Hair Loss
There are other reasons for hair loss that can be addressed. They include:
- Physical or emotional trauma – Many people experience the thinning of their hair several months after they experience a physical or emotional trauma. Examples of a trauma include a death in the family or a health condition that resulted in a very high fever.
- Excessive weight loss – If a person loses a great deal of weight in a short period of time, they can experience hair loss as a result.
- Hair pulling disorder – Hair pulling disorder is a mental illness that causes people to not be able to resist the urge to pull out their hair. They may pull hair from their scalp, eyebrows, or another part of their body. Hair pulling from the scalp tends to leave patchy bald spots on the head.
- Hairstyles – There are some hairstyles that result in the hair being pulled too tightly. This can pull the hair away from the follicle.
You may or may not know the cause of your hair loss, but there is hair loss help for you that will allow you to address the issue and find a solution.
If you are suffering from hair loss, it is time to get the hair loss help that you need. At South Coast Hair Options, we have many solutions to address hair loss in both men and women. To learn more about what we can offer you, call us at 508-995-7085 or fill out our contact form.